How to Specify Anodized and Painted Finishes
SAFINISH — A Designation System For Specifying Aluminum Finishes
Southern Aluminum Finishing Company (SAF) is the developer of the SAFINISH Designation System for specifying exterior finishes used on architectural aluminum building products.
When architects specify SAFINISH, the resulting finish has the longest expected lifetime of any available for architectural aluminum.
SAFINISH coatings are available only on aluminum, because aluminum is the only metal with the longevity and resistance to corrosion equal to the quality implied by the SAFINISH designation.
SAF recommends SAFINISH for long-term exterior use. Ask about our five and twenty year limited warranties for SAFINISH aluminum coatings.
How to Specify with Confidence…
SAF has been finishing aluminum for the construction industry since 1946. Since then we estimate that we have processed over one billion square feet of aluminum used on thousands of projects worldwide.
This unequaled experience in finishing aluminum allows us the unique position of being able to give you an objective selection of the most suitable anodizing or paint finish for your application. Only the most durable finishes qualify for the SAFINISH designation.
How to Specify with Ease…
For many, specifying aluminum finishes is a difficult task, requiring references to specifications from many unrelated trade associations. Architects find the plethora of aluminum finishing specifications to be confusing at best.
Our SAF SAFINISH Designation System simplifies the specifying process, while maintaining a quality of finish suitable for commercial properties.
How to Specify for Reputation…
Specifiers design their buildings to last a very long time. SAF designs their finishes to last, as well, and we stand behind our products.
It makes no sense to apply an inferior aluminum finish to cut costs: aluminum finishing is typically less than 1% of a project’s cost, but can be 100% of its appearance.
Anodizing Guide Specification
Anodic Finish on exposed aluminum components, (** denotes choice, Use Designation System Chart below for selections to fill in the blanks.)
- Type: All exposed aluminum shall be given caustic etch followed by an Architectural Class **(I or II)** anodic coating with color conforming to Aluminum Association Designation ___**____. The color shall be _____**______ and shall meet standards set forth by AAMA 611.
- Designation: Southern Aluminum Finishing Co., Inc., SAFINISH “SAF____”. (e.g. SAF 215 is Class I Clear)
- Appearance: coating shall be continuous, uniform in appearance, and free from scratches and other blemishes.
- Color variation: No more than 5E (CMC) when measured in accordance with AATCC 173-1989.
- SAFINISH coatings are recommended for long-term exterior use. Ask about our 5 and 20 year limited warranties for SAFINISH coatings.
- Limitations: Class II dyed finishes (SAF 804) are not exterior lightfast.
- Spectrocolorimeter conditions: integrating sphere specular included, 10 degree standard observer, D-65 Illuminant, CMC Ratio 1.50:1.00.
PVDF Spray Painted Finish Guide Specification
A. Finish on exposed aluminum components:
- Type: two-coat, shop applied, high performance, 70% Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) coating based on Arkema Inc, Kynar 500® or Solvay’s Hylar 5000® resin, formulated by a licensed manufacturer and applied by manufacturer’s approved applicator, to meet AAMA 2605. Applicator is to pretreat the aluminum with solutions to remove organic and inorganic surface soils, remove residual oxides, followed by a chrome phosphate conversion coating to which organic coatings will firmly adhere.
- Designation: Southern Aluminum Finishing Co, Inc. SAFINISH, SAF 266.
- Color: **Standard or Custom** color as selected by architect.
- Touch-up paint: Provide matching touch-up paint for minor touch-up of small scratches, abrasions, and fasteners. Paint shall be applied with an artist brush and never spray applied.
- Color variation: No more than 2E (CMC) when measured in accordance with AATCC 173-1989.
Aluminum Finish Designation System Chart
For use in above specification
|Available Aluminum Finishes & Colors||SAF Designation||Other Names||Aluminum Association Designation for Aluminum Finishes||AAMA specification|
|Kynar 500 and Hylar 5000 coatings||SAF 266||Kynar 500®, Hylar 5000®, Duranar®, SAF 266||—||AAMA 2605|
|PPG Duranar Powder||Powder Kynar, FEVE||AAMA 2605|
|Polyester TGIC Powder Coatings||SAF 268||Polyester TGIC, SAF 268||—||AAMA 2604|
|Polyester Painted Coatings||SAF 264||Polyester, Polycron, SAF 264||—||AAMA 2603|
|Clear Anodizing||SAF 215||Class I||AA-M10C22A41||AAMA 611|
|“||SAF 204||Class II, Alumilite, A31||AA-M10C22A31||“|
|Light Bronze Anodizing||SAF442||Class I, 2-Step, Champaign||AA-M10C22A44||“|
|“||SAF311||Class I, Duranodic, Integral Color (DISCONTINUED)||AA-M10C22A42||“|
|Medium Bronze Anodizing||SAF443||Class I, 2-step||AA-M10C22A44||“|
|“||SAF312||Class I, Duranodic, Integral Color (DISCONTINUED)||AA-M10C22A42||“|
|“||SAF343||Class II, 2-Step||AA-M10C22A34||“|
|Dark Bronze Anodizing||SAF444||Class I, 2-Step, Dark Bronze||AA-M10C22A44||“|
|“||SAF313||Class I, Duranodic, Integral Color (DISCONTINUED)||AA-M10C22A42||“|
|“||SAF344||Class II, 2-Step, Dark Bronze||AA-M10C22A34||“|
|Statuary Bronze Anodizing||SAF445||Class I, 2-Step, Statuary Bronze||AA-M10C22A44||“|
|“||SAF314||Class I, Duranodic, Integral Color (DISCONTINUED)||AA-M10C22A42||“|
|“||SAF345||Class II, 2-Step, Statuary Bronze||AA-M10C22A34||“|
|Black Anodizing||SAF446||Class I, 2-Step, Black||AA-M10C22A44||“|
|“||SAF335||Class I, Duranodic, Integral Color (DISCONTINUED)||AA-M10C22A42||“|
|Anodizing Dyes Colors||SAF815||Almost any color available, call factory for options||AA-M10C22A43||“|
Hylar 5000 is a registered trademark of Solvay Specialty Polymers Inc.
Kynar 500 is a registered trademark of Arkema Inc.
Interpon D3000 Fluoromax is a registered trademark of Akzo Nobel
Duranar is a registered trademark of PPG Industries Inc.
- AAMA 611 Voluntary Specification for Anodized Architectural Aluminum, American Architectural Manufacturer?s Association, Schaumburg, IL 60173-4628
- AAMA 2603 Voluntary Specification, Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for Pigmented Organic Coatings on Aluminum Extrusions and Panels.? American Architectural Manufacturer’s Association, Schaumburg, IL 60173-4628
- AAMA 2604 Voluntary Specification, Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for High Performance Organic Coatings on Aluminum Extrusions and Panels. American Architectural Manufacturer?s Association, Schaumburg, IL 60173-4628
- AAMA 2605 Voluntary Specification, Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for Superior Performing Organic Coatings on Aluminum Extrusions and Panels.? American Architectural Manufacturer’s Association, Schaumburg, IL 60173-4628
- AATCC 173 CMC: Calculation of Small Color Differences for Acceptability, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2215
- AA DAF-45 Designation Systems for Aluminum Finishes Pub. No. 45 Aluminum Association, Washington, DC 20006
See our 8 Point Anodizing Checklist